Plain Old Jen

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Giving Up!

So I have decided to give up, that's right, I Jen Hoddinott have decided to give up on life. But probably not the way you think. As most of you know I have accepted a job in Saskatchewan which is quite far from New Brunswick and at first thought I didn't want to go because I would have to leave behind my family, friends, my church, my groups that I am involved in and everything else that is a comfort to me. And I am not going to lie, God and I had an argument about me moving so far away but of course God won!! As He usually does over time!

So how am I giving up on life? Well it is like this, my life really isn't mine and I have been trying to hold on to it because I believe I know what is best for me when in actuality I have no idea because I can't see the big picture. I have come to the conclusion that I am giving up my life, and taking up God's life for me. I am reminded of the verse in Luke, "Then he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.(9:23)" So that is what I am trying to do...I am trying to deny the life I want and walk with God in the life He wants for me..

With doing this I have really come to love the lyrics of the song "No Sacrifice" by Jason Upton. Those who know me well know that I have been listening to this song for a while now but something changed in it for me...Like the words just penetrated my heart, my mind, my spirit and my soul. And I really feel God was speaking this directly to me and telling me to use this as a prayer!

"To you I give my life, not just the parts I want to
To you I sacrifice these dreams that I hold on to

Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
This is no sacrifice
Here's my life


To you I give the gifts
Your love has given me
How can I hoard the treasures that you've designed for free?


Because Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
This is no sacrifice
Here's my life

To you I give my future
As long as it may last
To you I give my present
To you I give my past
Because Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
Your thoughts are higher than mine
Your words are deeper than mine
Your love is stronger than mine
This is no sacrifice
Here's my life"

Just in case I didn't hear Him through words, He also gave me a picture. I was in the throne room with God and He just smiled at me and I felt uncomfortable because I knew what I had to do but I didn't want to. So I just stood there for a while and He just continued to smile at me. Then all of a sudden I began to cry and I feel to my knees and wept! In my head I could see the words, hopes, dreams, future, past, present, gifts and I knew exactly what I had to do. I lifted up my hands and offered them to God one by one. Each word appeared in the palm of my hands and as I gave them to God, he smiled bigger and bigger. When I had given up each word, I was overwhelmed with peace and God spoke and said, thank you!





3 Comments:

Blogger Hilary Ladd said...

That's so awesome, Jen! what an inspiration....

8:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sooo proud of you. I'll miss you at Up Town. God has great things in store! I don't think we can out give God. It will be exciting how he pours out His blessings on you.
Reed

2:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very cool. God has richly blessed you. He is obviously going to use you so that he may bless others. Bless you for listening to him and havimg the heart of courage to do as he has commanded. Very, very cool.
P+

5:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home