Plain Old Jen

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Math Sheet Success

I have been working at the After School Program (ASP) for a little over a month now and I can't believe I haven't posted about it yet. There has been many stories but nothing out of the ordinary for the ASP. You know siblings stabbing each other in the head with scissors, kids giving you MARJOR attitude, Middle School girls writing on the bathroom walls and when you confront them about it they say;
Student A & B - "Oh no, that wasn't us,"
Me - "Then who was it?"
Student A"Oh well, I seen a girl walk into the bathroom with a sharpie in her pocket."
Me - "Sure",
Student A & B - "Seriously, Jen"
Me - "Well what about you?"
Student B - "Well it couldn't of been me because I am left handed and it isn't slanted the right way."
Me - "You know what I think, I think you watch to much CSI"

Eventually both the girls admitted to doing it and scrubbed the walls clean.

But today something happened that reminds me why I love my job. Today I was working with a kid who I am going to call "Boy". Well Boy is a kid who needs a lot of one on one help with his homework. So I was helping him today with one of his math sheets and we finished the one we were working on so I told him I had to go back and check the ones he did on his own. Well he had a few wrong and when I told him he had to correct them, he started to cry. (He gets really frustrated with himself when he gets some wrong but the only reason he gets them wrong is because he rushes through them, he is more than capable of doing them) Well for those of you who know me, know I don't really like it when people cry but I handle it a lot better than I use to. Anywho, Boy began to cry and this is where I looked at him and just encouraged him and told him, he could do it and he could go play in no time. Well I was right in no time he was finished and this is what made my day, Boy looked up at me and said, " I did it" and smiled a huge smile. And I know some are thinking well so he did do it, but I just felt his accomplishment and that made me smile.

I know I don't say it enough but I LOVE my job and I thank God for this opportunity he has given me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go ,Jen

7:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always find when they smile, there is part of my heart that feels warm, I thank God for putting you in a place where you bring out the smiles.
Hope your ear is feeling better, continueing to pray.
paul

9:41 a.m.  
Blogger Peter said...

What's that old line that says something like: it doesn't matter what kind of car you drive or what you did or how much money you have but the single word tjat you say to a child can make or break them. "I did it" means "If it wasn't for you I'd never have done it." Thus, tresasures in heaven!

2:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a kid cry today at the church. We were playing hockey (yes...yes...hockey before Church service, beautiful eh?) and he got hit in the head with a stick. It was really awkward for me, because he just came running as I knelt down to him and he stuck his head between my head and my arm, letting the water works fly. But I surprised myself at how I handled it...yeah- it's always great to see a kid be confident in themselves after they open up to you. Children are awesome.

5:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, I'm really glad you are so blessed in the occupation God saw fit for you. You are perfect for the job and I'm glad you have great stories like that to put on your blog. (and yes this is really me I finally have a pc that lets me open your blog w/out crashing lol.)
I'm not cool enough to have a blog of my own tho, except for myspace. Sorry.
Keep up the awesome blog Jen, I'll be sure to look at it now! ;)
PS- I'll let you know when I get a deer.. then you can post that I'm so sick and mean to the Bambi's around here.

10:50 p.m.  
Blogger Emma said...

that was a very nice story :)

4:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cry too when I have to re-do things...but Im just lazy. I knew a kid once who told me his sister stabbed him in the head with a pair of scissors(speaking of siblings & stabbins)...thats when I became utterly terrified of city dwellers.

2:27 a.m.  
Blogger David said...

It's a great job, isn't it? As frustrating as it can be to work with "Boy" it's really exciting when he starts to get it :)

2:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home