Plain Old Jen

Monday, October 30, 2006

Oh How I Love The Beach!

I grew up in a little place called Mace's Bay and there were things I didn't like about it, for example, a lot of my friends lived 30 minutes away, I could never do any after school activities, and as I got older I realized that everyone knew everyone else's business. But that isn't what I wanted to talk about. Living in the Bay meant that I lived close to a beach. Now growing up, I use to get into fights with my Mom and others. Unlike most teenages who run in their room and play their loud music when they are mad at their parents (I know I have done that a few times as well), I on the other hand would slam the front door and make my way to the beach. At the beach I would throw rocks at seagulls (never hitting them, well not very often anyway) but mostly I would think about what just happened and tried to make sense of it all and after a while I would just feel really calm inside.



I started going to the beach a lot, to sit and think and to talk to God. The beach became my place where I felt closest to God. So now when I am upset or feel really disconnected to God I like to go to the beach and just chill.

Well the other night I had a dream and the dream was this; (no this isn't going to turn into a foot prints poem)

The dream first took place in my bedroom (not my really one), where I was crying on my bed. And it wasn't like a tear tear cry but a sobbing cry. I remember it feeling like forever, but then heard a knock on my door and I said come in. Without warning I was now on the beach, New River Beach to be exact and I wasn't alone. I was walking hand in hand with God. We didn't talk or anything, we just walked down the beach and I felt so peaceful and it was nice.

So I went to the Bay this weekend and I went to New River Beach and walked the beach with my good old friend Andrea. It was nice. The pictures are from that walk on the beach. Well there ya go...

Where do you feel the closest to God?

16 Comments:

Blogger Catherine Morris said...

What a beautiful dream, Captain Jen. And it's not just a dream, it's the truth. So glad that God is demonstrating His love for you.

I feel close to God during worship or communion sometimes, but also when I'm out in nature, especially on a beach. Before I invited Jesus into my life I used to experience the presence of God at Long and MacKenzie Beach(es) near Tofino. I used to try to make a trip there at least once a year. I would carve a bed and a pillow for myself in the sand and curl up there and listen to the sound of the surf. I haven't been there for a long time. I need to go back.

Today I found a lake about 35 minutes from here where, for the first time in months, I experienced absolute silence and stillness - except for the lapping of the waves on the shore. I plan to go back there to commune with God very soon.

Love and peace from your sister in Christ,
Catherine

4:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the woods,
on the water,
and with people.

6:18 p.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Not to steal your place of peace.. but there is somthing about being on the ocean. I bet heaven smells like see salt and sounds like crashing waves!. Love ya Jen

10:45 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ocean smells like fish for me, though that might get me to heaven......

9:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...behind a piano/keyboard, or soaking in the Word.

8:18 p.m.  
Blogger gray said...

I totally want to comment but I can't figure out my answer. I guess in the sun, or maybe when I'm with the people I love. Or with the people I love...in the sun!

Not sure. The beach is up there on my list too.

9:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My place is in the woods, especially hunting, but even just walks down my road, which is pretty much woods anyways, I love nature- God's nature- so it draws me to him. (beach works for me too..)
That was a good day at the beach, except for the wind storm and it was freezing but thanks for making me go, it was great and it IS a great place to meet with God.

9:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats an amazing dream. It sounds peaceful...Id say that I feel closest to God in alot of places, lol. Like whn Im chopping wood (Im such a county boy) or alone in some part of nature. My favorite though, is when Im working with kids.

1:15 a.m.  
Blogger gray said...

Mom's lost it!

11:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with all the sap? My comment is on the magnificent work of the photographer. Wow!

11:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greer what's a sprit??????

10:41 a.m.  
Blogger Jen said...

It is suppose to say Spirte

11:02 a.m.  
Blogger Peter said...

Actually, I think that was suppose to be Sprite - the drink. Wow, you guys need to get away from commenting for a day or two. Jen, maybe you could take them to the Beach!

4:10 p.m.  
Blogger Jen said...

haha, thanks Pete, I can't believe I was trying to correct a spelling mistake and then made my own....haha I hate when that happens...

1:42 a.m.  
Blogger Susan said...

Where do I feel closest to God?

I would defently say It is one the beach or hiking! Well that was it when I was camping many many times as a kid! Now I would say it is when I dance! When I dance I feel so free and so close to God!

5:06 p.m.  
Blogger Jen said...

Dancing I could totally see that for you!!

5:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home